Using a forum system for CLUG (was Re: Fw: [clug] Flirting Techniiques For Men (Paul Wayper))

Ben Coughlan ben.coughlan at anu.edu.au
Sat May 2 08:29:13 GMT 2009

On 02/05/2009, at 5:42 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> David Schoen <neerolyte at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>
> G'day David.  I generally prefer Daniel, but am not religious about
> it. ;)
>
>> Thanks for your great response, more below.
>
> Thank you for trying to think about how the CLUG list, and community,
> can be improved.  It is good to see people actually think about that.
>
>> 2009/5/2 Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>
>>> David Schoen <neerolyte at gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> That is kind of sad — not in your specific case, but because it says
>>> that there is a perception that the group is rather elitist. :/
>>
>> This wasn't a reflection on this group in particular, I had a number
>> of bad experiences just a few individuals on a couple of newsgroups,
>> but once bitten it's hard to just go on asking questions that are so
>> obvious to everyone else.
>
> Well, it is hardly unknown for LUGs to contain people with a ... nasty
> bent, or whatever.  It is, truly, part of life, and worse, something
> that the Internet tends to enable because it distances us from seeing
> the people we communicate with as actually human...
>
> Anyway, thanks for clarifying.
>
> [...]
>
>>> However, GMANE do archive public lists, and do make available an RSS
>>> feed of the content, if that is what people really want.
>>
>> I only mentioned this in passing seeing as someone else had asked
>> about it earlier. I wouldn't use it but I'm all for giving people the
>> ability to use things the way they want to.
>
> *nod* Likewise, I mention it because the GMANE model can be quite
> valuable compared to mailing list subscriptions in some cases; I use
> it
> myself[1] for that reason, although not for RSS.
>
> [...]
>
>>> The second is that your model embeds privilege and power into the
>>> system, as well as removing the requirement of being at least
>>> pseudonymous for participation in the community.
>>>
>>> This, generally speaking, discourages community and replaces it
>>> with a
>>> brief period in which people can establish themselves followed by
>>> a long
>>> period in which the "old guard" have power, while new participants
>>> are
>>> relegated to the role of hanger-on in a much more formal way.
>>>
>>> This is made worse by the habit of forum packages to assign "ranks"
>>> based on participation in the forum: it substitutes the passage of
>>> time
>>> for any actual skill, resulting in acknowledged experts in the field
>>> being descibed (by the software) as "lowly neophites", while
>>> people who
>>> have little real skill but plenty of time are "acknowledged
>>> masters".[2]
>>
>> Some (and yes I admit not all) of this would be solvable by keeping
>> the process of setting up and maintaining a forum as open as
>> possible.

> [...]

I'll admit that in joining this I've really only skimmed the previous
discussion.  However I'd advise against doing something custom for
such an important piece of a community infrastructure.  I personally
don't believe that the world needs another massage board.  There are
already a few to choose from that work quite well.  And unless you
expect to be able to support it personally for the life of CLUG, or
train others to, I wouldn't want CLUG relying on your system.

I would be quite happy to see a forum style message board, I find the
mailing list idea a bit archaic.  My personal favorite is phpBB.  It's
very easy to setup, administer and customize, and addresses most of
the issues you've been discussing.

Regards,
Ben Coughlan