[clug] Is this logic correct? [12Tb RAID-5 array unlikely to rebuild]

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Sat Mar 28 08:32:49 GMT 2009

steve jenkin wrote:
> Anyone care to comment if this logic is correct or not?
> (Large drives in RAID-5 likely to be unable to rebuild)
> Seems simplistic to me...
>
> NetApp apparently spruik their double-parity RAID scheme as a solution.

In recent years I've had it happen to me twice on RAID5 volumes that I got a read error
during reconstruct and lost data i.e. had to go to backups.  The drives were 400 and 250GB
SATA.

Nothing but RAID6 for me from now on.  The problem is compounded by the fact that some
systems still have a 2TB LUN limit so using 500GB disks you have to do a 4+2 RAID6 to get
zero contention which is a bit wasteful.

Brett