[clug] Kernel without initramfs

Michael Cohen scudette at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 12:06:27 GMT 2009

Hi David,

We also use CF based cards with voyage linux. Now voyage does all the
hard work of separating rw and ro areas etc. However, we found that if
the power goes off while the system is in rw mode, there is a chance
that ext2 can become currupted. Now the funny thing about that is that
either the fs will fail to mount at boot time - which will stop your
embedded device dead in its tracks. Or, even more interestingly - the
kernel might just detect that the filesystem is corrupted at some
random time during operation, which will make it remount the fs ro.
This is particularly funny when servicing support calls like "I can
see the files, but I cant change them or add new files - whats going
on?"

EXT3 gives you the ability to recover from such problems. If you
modify your initrd to fsck every boot it will make sure that the
filesystem is ok even if the power went out during writing. The fsck
will be very quick usually because the journal will just be flushed.
We find that it more important for an embedded system to be robust
that efficient - after all I would rather wait a little at boot time
than have a brick on my hands on the other side of the continent.

As others mentioned wear leveling is done automatically in CF cards.
Although voyage makes most of the system ro most of the time (except
for those partitions we want to make rw). Separating rw and ro
filesystems can make sure that the system at least boots even if the
rw partition is totally hosed or worn out. The main aim is to get an
ssh connection at the very least, even if the main application cant
operate.

Michael.