[clug] Kernel without initramfs

David Cottrill cottrill.david at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 22:56:56 GMT 2009

The kernel has seen the drive (CF card through IDE port) and correctly
identified it (make, model, serial of the card).

The modules I've built in are not built as modules. ie:
'thingy_device=y' in kernel config

I'm using ext3 and yes it is built in too, I'll investgate scsi need
but I can't see why - I'm not using USB or SATA.

The reason initramfs is taking so long is because I was using
debian-live but I can't have a stacked file system without initramfs
and all its baggage so I looked at using a minimal install with a
generic kernel - no real improvement.
Now I've gone the whole hog and I'm looking at stripping initramfs -
in the process I should manage some efficiency gains at runtime too.

It was thought that hard drive access might be a hand brake -
bootchartd disagreed - hard drive access never maxes out after the
initial image load of about 2 seconds.