[clug] Git help please - I might be breaking branches

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Mar 23 07:35:19 GMT 2009

On 23/03/2009, at 15:20 , Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Ah.  I stand corrected: you are not doing this the way that the
> upstream
> git-svn developer recommends, but rather with local branches and
> merges.  Oh, well.

Searching Google for assistance in git/svn workflows or best practices
pulls up more documents like this, and nothing like the scheme hinted
at in the manual page:

http://notes.jimlindley.com/2008/3/25/git-svn-that-works-for-me
http://cheat.errtheblog.com/s/gitsvn/
http://andy.delcambre.com/2008/03/04/git-svn-workflow.html
http://blog.shinetech.com/?p=150
http://www.mantisbt.org/wiki/doku.php/mantisbt:git_svn
http://www.bramschoenmakers.nl/en/node/358

When I started using git-svn I had no idea what that sentence was
supposed to mean, so I went looking for examples of how people
actually use it. These suggestions all work nicely, except for the way
merge commits get transmogrified into patch commits.

Working with Subversion the way that's suggested in the manual
requires continuous access to the Subversion repository, and every
change you make has to go through Subversion first. This doesn't work
well for situations where I write tests, then write the code to pass
the test (I'll end up with lots of commits that break the continual
integration server). This is antithetical to the attraction of git as
a disconnected, distributed version control system with cheap
branching & merging.

What other hazards are awaiting the lazy patchers like myself?

Alex