[clug] dbus and hald problem

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Sun Mar 22 22:25:51 GMT 2009

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Adrian wrote:

> [adrian at adios ~]$ sudo service messagebus restart Stopping system
> message bus:  [FAILED] Starting system message bus: Failed to start
> message bus: Failed to bind socket "/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket": No
> such file or directory

Make sure the directory exists, and the ownership looks correct:
ls -ld /var/run/dbus

If it exists - does the file actually exist?
ls -l /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket

Here's the results from my system:
pbarker at ellington:~$ ls -ld /var/run/dbus
drwxr-xr-x 2 messagebus messagebus 80 2009-03-22 22:04 /var/run/dbus/
pbarker at ellington:~$ ls -l /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
srwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-03-22 22:04 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket=
pbarker at ellington:~$

If they both exist and look good permission-wise, something is lying!  At
this point, you either google or strace.

Since I'm on my first coffee, my google-foo appears to be
caffeine-deprived.  So, strace time.
As root (sudo -s)
strace -f -s 8000 -o /root/strace.out service messagebus restart
Do a quick check for the obvious problem:
Look through the strace for the problem...
less /root/strace.out # and search for NOENT and/or system_bus_socket

Another thing to try might be to move any existing socket aside before
attempting to start the service.

> Adrian Blake

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.