[clug] Report from the rally

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sat Mar 21 12:38:38 GMT 2009

On 21/03/2009, at 18:56 , Fred Pilcher wrote:

> The Greens speaker was good and well-received. The guy from EFA
> wasn't a great speaker, but Fiona Patten, Senate candidate for the
> Australian Sex Party, spoke exceptionally well and intelligently
> about the whole sorry mess.

There was also a speaker representing Australian small businesses,
whose main point I recall being that the greatest risk presented by
the Great Firewall for small businesses would be the censoring of
their online presence with no warning, no recourse, and no grievance
procedure.

I have asked Bob McMullan about what processes are in place for
monitoring & challenging blacklisting but have yet to receive a
response. I expect to be posting to this list when I get a reply,
especially if it's a form letter, "movies are censored, so the
Internet should be too."

Which reminds me that one of the EFA guy's arguments was that the
Internet makes everyone a publisher, we can't all afford to have
lawyers to challenge the Government rating of our content, which means
that rating the Internet is effectively the same as censoring
individuals - or stifling free speech.

I have no idea who the people in the interesting costumes were, or
whether they were representing some special interest group, but they
certainly brightened up the protest gathering :)

Alex