[clug] OT: naughty hyperlinks to cost $11,000/day

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Thu Mar 19 04:59:49 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke wrote:
>> Wikileaks also has a list that claims to be the ACMA blacklist from August
>> 2008.  As far as I am aware we are allowed to link to it and I initially
>> included the link in this post.  I have removed it though because I don't
>> want to cause extra hassle for the people running this server.  This
>> decision made me quite uncomfortable and it's this kind of self-censorship
>> that I think is the real problem with this system and also their actual
>> goal.
>>

> Well the SMH thought it OK to talk about it. and give enough info to find it.

Sure, and I did the same, there are solid hints on where to go and what
to search for.  Normally though, I'd just include a link.

It's this change in my behaviour, simply by a minor threat rather than
any great act, this is what I find disturbing.  I censored myself to
conform to an external arbitrarily defined norm.  This is why Chinese
websites have the blue policeman wandering around occasionally, they
can't censor everyone but they can get most people to censor themselves.

David