[clug] multiple tape drives

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 00:12:33 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:06, Chris Smart <mail at christophersmart.com> wrote:
> Agreed. You could create a udev rule if you like, but it's easier just
> to use the 'by-id' devices provided by the kernel. I checked this on
> my tape devices and it appears to use the model and serial number, so
> these should never change, regardless of their position on the SCSI
> bus.

<tick!>  This is what I have done in the past with larger (L180) type
tape robots with LTO3's and the likes with amanda.  There is usually a
package called scsitools and/or scsiadd (debian/ubuntu names) that
will have the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script in it that you can use if you
happen to play shenanigans with the cables while things are still
going.

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)