[clug] An old debate: Forensics study of cleaning old diskdrives sold on e-bay [SEC=PERSONAL]

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 23:47:41 GMT 2009

2009/3/2 Roppola, Antti - BRS <Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au>

> Stephen wrote:
>
> > Secondly, although modern hard drives have an in-built over-write with
> random data command,
> > there is no simple click here to erase everything button in any
> operating system GUI or BIOS
> > to access it. This is probably intentional in the proprietary world to
> reduce support issues.
>
> That is just too horrible to contemplate, I can just imagine responding
> to the irate helpdesk call,
>
>  "Yes Sir, by pressing that button we guarantee that your stuff is gone
> forever. Including your product recovery partition."

Your wording made me realise another reason why the commercial suppliers
probably don't do this. It's not necessarily the best idea to "guarantee"
something
like that. The risk of lawsuits is too great if it doesn't quite work ...

(Thanks for the giggle!)

> For a savvy friend with business data concerns, I cut the drive in half
> with a drop saw. I am told that a drill hole and a dose of Coca Cola is
> eaiser and just as effective.

Your data no longer exists on the Coke side of life ... ;)

--
Cheers! Lana

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe
with fur.
- Doug Larson

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more