A hardware issue - was Re: [clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Tue Jun 30 21:40:01 GMT 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:52:39 +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> On 30/06/2009, at 09:42 , Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
>> But my assertion that the router - in its present environment - will
>> never connect to the Internet is solidly based.
>
> Ah, Grasshopper,

Alas, too true!

> you have much to unlearn!

Things are less desperate than you imagine.

I do not need to unlearn something that I had never learned.

> Let's assume for a moment that everyone else in the world has no problem
> using a domestic ADSL2+ modem/router: for them it is a case of plugging
> things in and turning them on. What are you doing that is different,
> which results in your setup not working?

I thought I had identified the answer in my last posting - but it may be
just be another "red herring". I currently have an Ethernet Controller
(SiS 900 - PCI Fast Ethernet) that I have never needed to use.  Hence I
do not know what it <can|cannot> do.

I shall soon find out whether the ordered "Wireless G PCI Adapter" makes
any difference - once it is operational.

> Here's how I connected my computer to the Internet via an ADSL modem/
> router:  1) Plug in the ADSL equipment, make sure the ADSL sync
> comes up 2) Plug in the computer, connect the Ethernet port on the
> computer to the Ethernet port on the route 3) Turn the computer on,
> wait for it to boot, verify that it obtained an IP address in the
> 192.168.x.x, 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x ranges (*not* 169.x.x.x range
> which is self-assigned). 4) Open a web browser and point it at
> 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router uses as its default address),
> log in as admin/admin 5) In the WAN configuration page, enter the
> username/password as given by my ISP 6) In the Router configuration
> page, change the administrator account to [redacted]/[redacted]
> so that someone out there on the Internet can't fiddle with my
> configuration using malicious JavaScript/AJAX 7) there is no step 7

The configuration routine of the NetGear modem/router is somewhat different.
It requires inputs to 7 other parameters.  My ISP supplied the correct values
for 6 of them; with luck, the Wireless PCI Adapter will find and enter the
missing one.

There is a lot of meat in your posting.

But I am in an age-group in which "poor short-term memory" is deemed to
be the norm.  So I am carefully archiving your response in order to be
able to revisit it easily when the router is doing what it should.  And
I may return then with further questions.

Meanwhile, sincere thanks for your detailed advice.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)