OT: Rebooting civilisation (was Re: [clug] Hard disk destruction)

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Jun 30 06:14:55 GMT 2009

On 30/06/2009, at 15:41 , Francis Markham wrote:

> Since you asked, for those who have to restart civilization from
> scratch but can only take a single cheat-sheet...
>
> http://www.topatoco.com/graphics/qw-cheatsheet-print-zoom.jpg

"Heat milk to just below its boiling point" ...
  - thermometer
  - pottery or metalwork

"Wrap copper wire ..."
  - smelting & refining as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluidized_bed_reactor
  - separation of gasses
  - commercial/industrial gas supplies
  - extrusion mould
  - ... um... this is how much I know about copper wire...
  - water wheel

It's like telling someone building a computer from scratch, "oh, just
use GCC and the GNU binutils package" when they're looking at a pile
of transistors :)

Imagine if we could skip the whole iron age and just jump straight
back to arc furnaces and fluidised bed reactors... who cares about
petrol engines, just jump straight to Lithium-Ion batteries and Tesla
Motors cars!

But who am I kidding?
Alex