[clug] Hard disk destruction

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:44:10 GMT 2009

Hi CLUGers,

I have a "few" [1] hard disks that need to be destroyed in such a
manner as to make data recovery impossible.

I thought the esteemed members of this list might have some insight
into this problem, which after all, has a number of potentially
spectacular solutions =)

We tried putting a platter in the embers of a backyard fire, which
succeeded in making the platter glow red.  This looked cool, and *may*
have ruined the data on the disk, but the disk was not even slightly
deformed and I didn't really feel like it was a sure thing.

I'm looking for more of a "nuke the site from orbit" style resolution.

Currently topping my list of things to try next is a flower pot full
of Al+Fe3O4 thermite.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
BJ