[clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:21:02 GMT 2009

I have been struggling with netgear wireless routers a well, and have
all  but given up.  Mine is a wgr614, reasonably old, and it has been
working fine with Ubuntu and the other operating system, at least
until my son brought home a mac (where do they pick up these things?)
and blew it away.  Thereafter I was forever resetting it and
eventually Ubuntu stopped speaking to it completely.

Turns out Ubuntu has been having a bit of a problem with some netgear
routers and I could not find a solution.

Borrowed a Mac Airport extreme and this solved the problem and
everything seems to work: Ubuntu, and the two other OSs.

Problem: the configuration requires 'Airport' installed on a Mac or PC
with another OS and there does not seem to be a built in web interface
for configuration.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate Linux solution for configuring this router?

jim