[clug] Miniature Glue Language

Paul Matthews plm at netspace.net.au
Mon Jun 29 10:26:55 GMT 2009

On Unix you can't move without tripping over a scripting language that
can be extended by, and/or embedded in other applications. Perl, Lua,
Lisp, Tcl, Python, etc... However on the good old z/OS MVS mainframe
(with TSO and JCL) the only scripting language is Rexx.  It may be
possible to embed and extend Rexx, however documentation on this seems
non existent, or at least well hidden. And dollars to doughnuts, the
only interface is via assembler.

But I do have a C compiler.

What I am looking for is a very small language I can port. Preferably:
implemented in very few .c files. Not with lisp syntax (too unfamiliar
for our users). Able to call into C code, and able to call back out
(callbacks). Having a array, list, assoc array types.

Any thoughts?