A hardware issue - was Re: [clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 04:04:19 GMT 2009

Felix Karpfen wrote:

Hey Felix,
I am arrogant enough to think that those commands I asked to run on your
_desktop_ will actually be helpful.
Any chance you could run them?
I think there is a really good chance that your iptables firewall on
your _desktop_ is causing trouble. You probably don't need a firewall on
your desktop at all if it's behind the router.
please run
# ifconfig -a
# route
# cat /etc/resolve.conf
and most importantly
# iptables --list

and tell us what the output is.
Until we eliminate your dekstop configuration as the source of the
problem (which should take about 2 minutes, b.t.w.) there's not a lot
any of us can do for you.

These modem/routers are designed so that people far less technically
proficient than yourself can set them up easily. If it really is not
working, you probably had the extreme bad luck to get a faulty one.
You'd be the first person I've heard of who has, just to give you an
idea how good the quality control is.
On the other hand you'd join each and every single one of us on this
list if a misconfigured firewall broke your internet access. So it's
nothing to be embarrassed about, we've all done it.

Hal