A hardware issue - was Re: [clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Sun Jun 28 22:43:34 GMT 2009

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 19:07:54 +1000, Hal Ashburner wrote:

> I'd still double, triple, quadruple check that your desktop machine is
> "plugged in" in the metaphorical sense.
> **That the gateway it is using is the router**,

Spot on (I now believe).

After 4 days of persistent tinkering, I have ended up with a lot of egg on
my face and the realisation that the newly-purchased NetGear modem will
*never* work with my existing hardware.

And the *only* place that gave a clue to what is missing is the box in
which the Modem was packed.  The box drew attention to the existence of a
"Wireless G PCI Adapter (WG 311)".

If that does not solve my problems (or can no longer be purchased), then I
am history.

I apologise in wasting the time of several CLUGers.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)