[clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 09:07:54 GMT 2009

Felix Karpfen wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:58:41 +1000, Neill Cox wrote:
>

>> Hi Felix,
>>
>> Unless you are trying to run actual servers on your local network (eg a web
>> server for http and https, and a mail server for smtp, pop3 and imap) having
>> your firewall allow outgoing traffic should be enough.
>>

> Thank you.
>
> So I am in *deep* trouble.
>
> The default configuration for the firewall *allows* access for all
> outgoing services.
>
> The router is now alive and well - as shown by the fact that a test-page
> from NetGear opens automatically (confirming that everything is
> working)when I enter the configuration page. And the router log says that I
> am connected.
>
> And that is it!
>
> I can ping and do DNS lookups from within the configuration page.
>
> But when I close that page, I get *nothing*
>
> "Pings" sent form the command-line go out and do not come back!

At times like these I really, really, really like being able to ssh into
my router and then interrogate it just like any other linux machine
because that's what it is.
Find out ip addresses, list the iptables rules the default route, all
the good stuff.

I'd still double, triple, quadruple check that your desktop machine is
"plugged in" in the metaphorical sense.
That the gateway it is using is the router, that the desktop has a sane
ip address, route and all that sort of thing.
If you run an
$ ifconfig eth0
and a
$ route
maybe an
$ nslookup clug.org.au
possibly
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

and paste the commands' output here, tell us the ip of the router we can
cross that off the list and you can be sure it is actually your router
you need to be reasoning with. (Note that none of this information will
actually tells us your ip on the internet, it's just your local network
will have much the same 192.168.whatever numbers as everyone else's and
is not externally addressable from outside your house).
I think your symptoms are consistent with having an incorrect gateway in
your default route. Someone will no doubt tell me if I've thought myself
in to a dark corner of impersonation of drug-addled-ness or similar...

Kind regards,
Hal Ashburner