[clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Sat Jun 27 08:27:07 GMT 2009

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:58:41 +1000, Neill Cox wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>
> Unless you are trying to run actual servers on your local network (eg a web
> server for http and https, and a mail server for smtp, pop3 and imap) having
> your firewall allow outgoing traffic should be enough.

Thank you.

So I am in *deep* trouble.

The default configuration for the firewall *allows* access for all
outgoing services.

The router is now alive and well - as shown by the fact that a test-page
from NetGear opens automatically (confirming that everything is
working)when I enter the configuration page. And the router log says that I
am connected.

And that is it!

I can ping and do DNS lookups from within the configuration page.

But when I close that page, I get *nothing*

"Pings" sent form the command-line go out and do not come back!

> I found the manual for your router at
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg834g_dg834gb_ref_manual_03Jun05.pdf

Being downloaded now (in the background) while I am writing this.  I hope
it will save me from displaying my ignorance.

> Hope this helps,

It certainly did.

Thank you.

Felix