[clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Neill Cox neill.cox at ingenious.com.au
Sat Jun 27 01:58:41 GMT 2009

Hi Felix,

Unless you are trying to run actual servers on your local network (eg a web
server for http and https, and a mail server for smtp, pop3 and imap) having
your firewall allow outgoing traffic should be enough.

If you do need to allow clients on the internet to connect to servers on
your local machine you are looking for the port forwarding setting on the
firewall.

The manual for your router has a section on how to do this starting on page
5-6 titled Inbound Rules (Port Forwarding)

Note: This is only of you need to provide these services to people on the
internet.  You do not need to do this to collect your email from the
internet or to browse the web.

I found the manual for your router at
http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg834g_dg834gb_ref_manual_03Jun05.pdf

Hope this helps,