[clug] Firewall settings on NetGear modem/router?

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Sat Jun 27 00:57:02 GMT 2009

I would welcome pointers on how to adjust the current settings on the
NetGear (DG834G) modem/router so that deliveries from half-a-dozen sevices
(listed below) get through the firewall.  Once I have got the hang of the
routine, I can always add additional services as the need arises.  The
services that I use routinely include:

- http
- https (both currently set to port 8080; but this may have to change to
         port 80);
- nntp;
- pop3;
- smtp.
- ssh
In addition, the following services are on the cards (because they are
available from my new ISP).  I have never used them and will need to
discover what they offer before I bite the bullet:

- imap;
- pop3s;
- smtps;

All advice will be gratefully received.