[clug] Switching to broadband - more help needed.

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Thu Jun 25 22:42:46 GMT 2009

The responses to my initial queries (posted on 3 June) were sufficiently
encouraging to induce me to go ahead, purchase (and configure) a router
and sign up for broadband access.

So far, so good.  The router is configured correctly and has no problems
in connecting to the Internet.

But I put the cart before the horse!  I should have insured that my
(hitherto-dummy) eth0 configuration was still needed!  Now I have a mess
on my hands :(.

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0    0  eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0    0  eth0

After consulting "man route", it appears that I have 2 versions of "eth0"
up and running and no trace of "lo" (although - according to "ifconfig" -
"lo" is alive and well).

So how do I fix it without breaking something else?  Do I just clean the
decks and start from Square One?  Or is there a less painless strategy?

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)