[clug] Any experience with user documentation projects?

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 22:35:27 GMT 2009

2009/6/24 steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au>

> Lana Brindley wrote on 23/6/09 6:50 PM:
> > 2009/6/23 Jason Stokes <glasper9 at yahoo.com.au>
>
> <snip>
>

> > I've got a bit of experience in this field. What do you need?

> Lana,
>
> My reading of Jasons' question was:
>  can anyone suggest
>  a) a good doco project, and
>  b) how to place articles in a magazine (like Aus PC).
>
> Your answer was ambiguous to me...
> Were you saying you had good doco experience or experience in having
> articles placed? Or both?
>
> No need to answer if I've got the wrong end of the stick :-)
>
> cheers
> steve

My apologies. I was saying I have doco experience in open source. I haven't
submitted to magazines, but work with people who have (and do), and their
advice is to just write the article and submit it around. I don't believe
there are any truly hard and fast rules. As far as I can tell, just write as
much as you can on topics that interest you, and submit them to whoever you
can find an email address for. I imagine that if you contacted the
publications, though, they would be happy to provide you with further
details (and probably further complications, too).

My question to Jasan is, what are you trying to achieve? From your post, I
can't quite work out of you're wanting to become a tech writer, or if you're
wanting to become a tech journalist (or both?). If you want to become a tech
writer, I can probably give you some tips on that. If you want to become a
tech journalist, then I can probably get you in touch with people who can
give you some tips on that.

HTH,

Cheers! Lana

The artist doesn't have time to listen to the critics. The ones who want to
be writers read the reviews, the ones who want to write don't have the time
to read reviews.
 - William Faulkner

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more