Bing use by Linux enthusiasts (was: Re: [clug] mc-root anyone?)

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Jun 23 01:34:10 GMT 2009

On 22/06/2009, at 19:16 , Karun Dambiec wrote:

> I would like to use a search engine other than google, as competition
> will encourage innovation.

The main "innovation" that convinced me to use Google instead of
Altavista was that Altavista was turning into a page full of
advertising that happened to have a "search the web" feature. Google
gave me a search box _and that was it_.

Until Google came along, competition was merely encouraging more
advertising and nastier tricks to get you to click on links.

Speaking of Altavista, the search for "perl pack and unpack" returns
me the most useful result as the first item. Google gets the
perlpacktut link about number 5, Bing returns a rant about how
"Unperlish" pack and unpack are. Then again, Bing is supposed to be a
"decision engine" not a librarian. Yahoo gets the page I was looking
for as item 2.

Altavista is certainly a lot cleaner-looking today than it was all
those years ago. And it doesn't try telling me that 1 July is the
first day of Winter either...

Alex