Bing use by Linux enthusiasts (was: Re: [clug] mc-root anyone?)

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Mon Jun 22 16:24:42 GMT 2009

On 2009/Jun/22, at 11:16 AM, Karun Dambiec wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:58 +1000, "Dale Shaw" <dale.shaw at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Kim Holburn<kim at holburn.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bing searching?  You?
>>>
>>> You're searching for a linux remote exploit on a Microsoft search
>>> engine?
>>>  That's kinda strange.
>>
>> Really? It's a search engine. If it provides the desired result(s),
>> does it really matter who runs it?

Yes, as a matter of fact I think it does.  The company is a convicted
monopolist.  It uses technical tricks to lock out server competition,
Office software competition, illegal licensing deals and enforced
bundling to lock out other operating systems - we can see that
happening right now with netbooks.  So yes it does matter.

Tell me what's the default search engine in IE at the moment?  Have
you ever tried to change that to say google or yahoo and discovered
that you couldn't?  I wonder why not?

> I thought it was a decision engine. At least thats the view I got from
> reading Ubersoft.
>>
>> Do you feel better somehow, by using Google or <insert name of
>> competing search engine here>?
>>
>> *That's* kinda strange.
>
> I would like to use a search engine other than google, as competition
> will encourage innovation.

Gee, how strange.  Did I say anything about using google?  Google is a
monopoly but only AFAIK in book scanning and only because the US
society of authors virtually locked out everyone else.

I'm always happy to try new search engines.  Not so happy about
learning new special search commands but hey if the engine is good
enough, maybe.

Why are we talking about this exactly?  Is this controversial?

/rant

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant