[clug] secure remote access method

Ian Munsie darkstarsword at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 01:11:18 GMT 2009

> Further, even if you are *lucky* enough to be able to use ssh you may not be
> in a position to use public key authentication as you don't control the
> client.

That's why I'm liking the idea of the yubikey. When my key arrives I
want to set up my authentication as ((yubikey One Time Password &&
Password) || RSA) - from my own machines I can always log in
authentication with RSA as I already do, but the one time password
would mitigate the risk logging in from an untrusted machine (not
eliminate - though there is no point in them storing the password,
they could still manipulate the session in progress or feign a
successful logout but really keep the session open for their own evil
purpose). The yubikey just appears as a USB keyboard so you only need
access to a USB port on the client machine to use it, which is
generally only a problem in some very locked down organisations. As
you've pointed out, getting access to SSH is more likely to be a
problem than getting access to a USB port (mostly irrelevant for my
case).

-I

--
http://darkstarshout.blogspot.com/