[clug] CLUG website - what do we need?

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 10:39:07 GMT 2009

A couple of suggestions.  I kind of like the appearance of
http://www.clug.org.au/ based on the look and feel of
http://mabula.net/installfest/

It has that quaint geek uncompromising approach to minimalism and
responsiveness that so infuriates modern web designers.   And anything
that pisses off modern web designers is a good thing in my book...  :)

But I must admit I find static pages frustrating, and ultimately,
boring.  I would love to be able to comment, annotate, see the
comments and annotations of others, and see the comments and
annotations shape the website into a resource created by and for the
community.

Would a compromise be possible?  A simple set on simple pages built on
an open source wiki of some sort, skinned to look like the current
page, or something like it?

In terms of the clug membership thing, also quaint in its
uncompromising approach to lack of definition (Groucho and I
appreciate being able to not belong to any club that would have us as
members) would not another compromise be possible whereby if you were
a member of the clug list you were able to contribute to the
webby/wiki/bloggy/thingy?

As an aside, what is the status of http://clug.anu.edu.au/ ?  Why did
it apparently fail to get any real traction?

jim