[clug] Has Ubuntu resulted in a decline of Linux distribution innovation

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sun Jun 21 08:46:00 GMT 2009

On 19/06/09 19:38, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 19/06/2009, at 18:47 , Jason Stokes wrote:
>
>> Perhaps this is flamebait, but I see very little need for the
>> proliferation
>> of distributions anyway and would be extremely happy if there were just
>> one, or perhaps two, "big distributions" that everyone uses for most
>> purposes.
>
> You're addressing the issue of "the Paradox of Choice":
> http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html

Really, the choice is actually much simpler: do we let one or two big
distributions dictate how our operating system / GUI / mabulator works, or do
we let the open market work?  Believe me, if it's the choice between a dozen
different competing window managers, programming languages, toolkits, distros
of Linux, operating systems, or whatever, and having the one
$BIG_COMPANY_WE_ALL_HATE version forced upon us, I'll gladly go with the
former, language/distro/toolkit wars and all.

The "Paradox of Choice" is nothing compared to the "Tyranny of a Dictator".

OTOH, because I'm in the real world, I appreciate things like Ubuntu, Fedora
and Debian being popular.  It builds a user base from which I can learn and
means a certain standardisation that I can contribute to.  It's noteworthy
that these days much work is being done to make truly cross-distro and
cross-GUI software, and to calm the raging $THING_I_CARE_ABOUT wars and
trolling.  Things like Upstart, the development work on X, and even Launchpad
are great ways to get everyone in the Open Source Community without dictating
one way of working and cutting off options.

Have fun,

Paul