[clug] CLUG website - what do we need?

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sun Jun 21 07:45:52 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I've updated the CLUG page - the projects have been moved to a separate page
until I get them sorted out, and the contacts have been updated.

This is your website too - send me suggestions via the list for what we should
put up there!.

On 16/06/09 23:54, Jim Croft wrote:
> wiki bloggy thingy......

club-in-a-box.

The "keep it simple" style for the front page has been relatively popular and
has the advantage of being simpler to load.  In the past, quite a number of
people have been very much against using Wordpress and other dynamic content
generation systems for the front page, and I'm generally in that camp too.
There's also a fair number of attacks of varying description against said
systems, and account management is a further pain that I'd like to avoid.

The grand plan is for a system, which we call "club-in-a-box", to do the whole
wiki / blog / knowledgebase / content management system thing with lots of
bolt on extras.  But the front pages will still be basically static to keep
design simple.  That system will also be one that I fully expect to be flying
around in my own quantum-wave-energy-powered car before its for real.

On 17/06/09 16:59, Alastair D'Silva wrote:
 > A members' section (with blog links) would be nice, if only to increase our
 > FWSE rankings.

Once I got past the "Fast Wide Single Ended" SCSI definition and worked out
you were talking about search engines I got with it :-)

"Members" are something that the CLUG does not really possess.  We also don't
have an executive committee, subscriptions, funds, or assets.  This is
slightly unusual in a LUG for our size but in my opinion it's working
perfectly.  I'm a little unsure about, therefore, how to select those people
who go on that 'members' list without either being accused of favouritism,
missing out some critical 'old guard' person I (as a relative newcomer to
CLUG) didn't know about, missing out some critical 'rising star' person I
didn't know about, or laziness.  It's a good suggestion, I'm just not sure how
to execute it.

Have fun,

Paul