[clug] Re: linux Digest, Vol 78, Issue 53

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Jun 20 06:30:26 GMT 2009

Paul Matthews <plm at netspace.net.au> writes:

>>> I'd have to hunt a bit to re-dig it up. But some researchers in the UK
>>> did a study on password lengths/time to change them and so on. Was a few
>>> years ago now. ~ 2000-2005 time frame.
>
> The password restrictions above are simply ludicrous.

Yes, they are indeed.  My point was, in fact, that despite the ludicrous
lengths the ... people responsible[1] for this went to, they still missed a
bunch of common "use the same password again and again" paths.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I should perhaps clarify that the folks I know were the victims ^W end
     users in this case, not the architects of these schemes.  Those same
     architects also specified that all computers in the office must connect
     through a Cisco VoIP phone, so now the server room has a pile of Cisco
     phones sitting next to the patch panel.  (No, stop laughing, this is
     real. ;)