[clug] Has Ubuntu resulted in a decline of Linux distribution innovation

Karun Dambiec karun at linux.com
Fri Jun 19 09:39:57 GMT 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:47 -0700, "Jason Stokes" <glasper9 at yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

> Hell, I would even pay a modest fee for an "enhanced" Ubuntu with legal
> mp3
> codecs etc, if that would lead to Ubuntu having more funds to improve its
> distribution.  (Yes, I am sending them a donation.)

Canonical/Ubuntu sells codecs in their store. I disagree that it would
be good if one becomes the standard. Standard should be about things
like standard file formats. If one becomes the standard then we
basically have the same situation as with Microsoft Windows. Other than
that a linux distribution is mostly free software. Mostly as not all
distributions include only free software.

--
  Karun Dambiec
  karun at linux.com