[clug] secure remote access method

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Thu Jun 18 23:40:49 GMT 2009

With the mc-root discussion I thought I'd start a thread to ask a few
questions about secure remote access to a home server. Given that we all
like to have remote access to our home machines so that we can tweak the
occassional setting or such while we're not busy or something similar.
What are some thoughts out there on how best to do this? There's the
classic ssh and ssh with port knocking. But, as someone pointed out,
dealing with unfriendly firewalls when your traveling can kill this
idea, eg by blocking port 22? A lot of firewalls out there are now doing
protocol enforcement so you can't put ssh and port 80 because it doesn't
look like http. What other methods are out there?

Jeff.