[clug] Debian session for any Choobs?

Kevin Pulo kev at pulo.com.au
Thu Jun 18 23:26:08 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 06:52:28PM +1000, Denise Bates wrote:

> ... are there any Slackware lovers on the list?

I've used Slackware on all my machines since I started with Linux
around 1996 (version 3 or 4, I think).  Not a fan of the Gnome
removal, I use GnomeSlackBuild (not that I use a "desktop"
environment; I just want the Gnome apps/utils/libs around).  On x86_64
machines I use Slamd64, and I haven't looked at the recently-released
Slackware64-current yet, but I do hope that it is as good as Slamd64
(which is very good).

I'm not sure I'm your typical distro user, though - I tend to be very
slap-happy when it comes to compiling up stuff in /usr/local, going
around editing distro-supplied scripts in /etc/rc.d, /usr/sbin,
whatever.  As a result I tend to make upgrades harder for myself than
they might otherwise be.  :)

Eg. my main system is based on Slamd64 12.0, but there are quite a few
packages from later versions installed.  Sometimes this can cause
problems with library versioning (particularly glibc), in which case
I'll usually just get the source package from the later distro
version, compile it on my system and then install/upgrade it.  There
are a few standard packages where I don't like the configure/build
options used, or want to patch the source with custom mods, and so
I'll redo them myself in the same way.  This also often works for
dropping in a slightly newer version of a source tarball, fixing up
the SlackBuild/PHBuild script, and then rebuild/upgradepkg.  Slamd64
used to be missing 32 bit builds of some libraries, so I would do them
in roughly the same way as well, but I think more recent versions are
better in this regard.

Kev.

| Kevin Pulo                Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. |
| kev at pulo.com.au               _ll l_ng__g_e_ _r_ hi__ly p__d_ct__le. |
| http://www.kev.pulo.com.au/         God casts the die, not the dice. |
`--------------- Linux: The choice of a GNU generation. ---------------'