[clug] mc-root anyone?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Jun 18 21:07:04 GMT 2009

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> writes:

>> - is there anything else I should do to this machine?
>
> That depends how much paranoia you have.  My general experience, these days,
> is that many attackers are quite happy to automatically compromise a system
> and run a robot; they don't bother to go beyond that point.
>
> So, you /could/ be trusting and assume that they are kicked off and you are
> now safe.
>
> Alternately, you could go back to your last pre-compromise backup on the
> assumption that if they have root they also have a rootkit that makes them
> undetectable — or they left the obvious compromise as a dummy to make you feel
> better when you got rid of it, despite being still compromised.

Cool. I don't backup system files, just data... I guess that makes an OS
reinstall the equivalent operation. In four days this machine goes into
a shipping container on the high seas for 65 days. I think its biggest
risk to the internet is something involving a guy with a peg leg at that
point.

I'll keep an eye on it until then, but the whole thing is surprisingly
simple, which is interesting in itself.

Mikal