[clug] Has Ubuntu resulted in a decline of Linux distribution innovation

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 13:55:11 GMT 2009

David Schoen wrote:
> I would say more likely a decline in diversity rather than innovation
I'm guessing here as much as anyone, but I wouldn't say that at all. The
rise of Ubuntu as a desktop distribution exactly coincides with red hat
deciding it was no longer worthwhile to pay people to develop desktop
software. A lot of our code has been written by people employed by the
big distributions. Canonical and Ubuntu have proven you can have a big,
unashamedly commercial distribution and have a policy of not paying for
the development of code that is useful to the wider community. I don't
know if Mr Shuttleworth still has this policy but it's fair to say that
Canonical contributes very little indeed in comparison with Red Hat,
Novell, Mandrivia, etc.
Be it desktop, server or kernel. Ubuntu fans seem to get very upset
about people pointing this out
http://lwn.net/Articles/298864/
so maybe this will translate into it changing. We can but hope.
If you look at the innovative ideas in the Ubuntu distribution I
strongly suspect the overwhelming majority of them will have been
derived directly from the debian project.
Is the launchpad code still proprietary and secret code as this is
canonical's "method for product differentiation?" Or has it all been
released under a Free license so maybe debian could have their own
launchpad? I haven't kept up with canonical at all but I do remember
being surprised by the lack of criticism of them for taking this
approach  when they decided to pay for some code to be written. James
Henstridge is such a nice guy, insanely smart and has made such a
terrific contribution to GNOME (libglade amongst other things) it would
be a shame if his association with Canonical resulted in him no longer
writing fantastic Free code.