[clug] Has Ubuntu resulted in a decline of Linux distribution innovation

Ric de France rdefrance at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:35:06 GMT 2009

Hey Karen,

2009/6/18 Karun Dambiec <karun at linux.com>

> Given that Ubuntu has become one of the most popular distributions, do
> you think it has resulted in a decline of innovation between
> distributions?
>
> Alternatives like Gentoo, etc appear to be gradually disappearing.
> --
>  Karun Dambiec
>  karun at linux.com
>
> I think that Ubuntu markets themselves very well, but I don't think it's at
the detriment of any other Linux distribution. Each distribution caters for
a particular need. I run Ubuntu at work, but prefer to use Gentoo at home.
And if it wasn't for Gentoo, I wouldn't have the job I have...

The patches / upgrades are still coming through in Gentoo... the web site
might not have as much in the way of content updates, but there's still
people working there. The mailing lists are still very active, and so are
the forums.

...Ric
--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)