[clug] Debian session for any Choobs?

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 06:48:21 GMT 2009

steve jenkin wrote:

> communication bit-rate is much higher f-2-f.
>
> Main effect: kbps(speech) >>  kbps(typing).
> Add in effect of diagrams - they're Mbps :-)
>
> But also non-verbal cues, or questions/feedback, confirm the
> communication is successful or the concept needs further explanation -
> or trying alternate descriptions.
>
> Anyone else what to take a punt at explain why f-2-f is faster and more
> efficient than most anything?

Yes, one gets to interrupt and prod the explainer to explain what you
need rather than their first impression of what they think you need. Of
course the flipside is the explainer can often work out and answer the
question you should have been asking rather than the one you actually did.
This is possible on mailing lists and IM as well, it's just not quite as
well targeted as you pick up quite a bit of useful info for the above in
the background noise communication of "hello, how are you? how was the
weekend? Seen the new $foo? It's brilliant." etc.

Please do note that the above can often backfire badly as well. I know
people who prefer to use pseudonyms and avoid face to face so that all
judgement is based on the content of their communication alone. Pretty
easy to guess the kinds of situations where it become sufficiently
important to want that.