[clug] Debian session for any Choobs?

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Jun 17 00:46:17 GMT 2009

Hal Ashburner wrote:

> apt-proxy might be the thing if you've got multiple machines and
> you're worried about downloading the same thing from the net again and
> again...
> http://packages.debian.org/etch/apt-proxy
> Various universities use this as a solution rather than running a full
> mirror, or so I'm told.
> apt-cache-ng appears to be another one.
>
> I've never knowing used either.

I use approx at home to share files across three boxes.  It's relatively
painless, Jeff wrote up a nice brief how-to for it a while ago.  The
comments in the same entry also discuss some of the alternatives and
their various advantages.

http://bethesignal.org/blog/2009/04/13/approx-package-caching-ubuntu-debian-lovers/

I really think that netinst + downloads is the way to go.  You only use
a fraction of the packages on the cds, you stay updated and don't have
to juggle pieces of plastic.  Of course that assumes a broadband net
connection.

David