[clug] Debian session for any Choobs?

Michael James michael at james.st
Tue Jun 16 04:41:29 GMT 2009

On 16/06/2009, at 2:04 PM, Hal Ashburner wrote:

> Michael James wrote:
>> I've bitten the bullet and am trying to learn Debian.
>>

>> Topics:
>>    Lightning tour of Installation*
>>    Apt from an RPM user's perspective.
>>
> This might be one of those "from 1000ft" things.
> the rpm equivalent is a thing called dpkg. The packages themselves
> end in .deb rather than .rpm. Apt is the equivalent of something
> like yum or (is it yast on suse?)
> The basics seem to translate pretty easily nowadays.
> Let's just list them. To start it off:
>
> 1)To find and install and uninstall a package
>
> apt-cache search $pkgname
> apt-cache show $fullpkgname
> apt-get install $fullpkgname
> apt-get remove $fullpkgname
> vs
> yum search $pkgname
> yum info $fullpkgname
> yum install $fullpkgname
> yum remove $fullpkgname
>

> 2)To update your system
> apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
> vs
> yum update
>
> 3)The file/directory to edit to configure which mirror to point at
> (hopefully your ISP's unmetered mirror)
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list
> vs
> /etc/yum.repos.d/
>

> 4) which pkg does that file come from?
> dpkg --search /path/to/file
> vs
> rpm -qf /path/to/file
>

> 5) Gui front end so you don't have to know any of the above?
> aptitude (also does curses which is handy for server use)
> vs
> gpk-application

Wow, that's my initial questions answered.
And armed with the answers I (well google actually) found this
excellent page

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/%20RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora

In hindsight all is obvious.

One question remains: What's the equivalent of   http://rpm.pbone.net/
ie: What package will give me this file (which I don't have but
should, judging by the compiler errors)

I'd still like a face to face show and tell, if we can get a quorum of
interest.

michaelj

--
I share Hal's aversion to Ubuntu. I was lost out on the open
unprotected Ubunt