[clug] Debian session for any Choobs?

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 16 03:04:30 GMT 2009

Michael James wrote:
> I just coined the word "Choob"
>  for anyone who's a bit at sea after changing distros.
>
> I've bitten the bullet and am trying to learn Debian.
>
> I'd like a session covering the differences between running Debian/Ubuntu
>  and RPM based distros like Fedora/Suse/Mandriva etc.
>

> Topics:
>     Lightning tour of Installation*
>     Apt from an RPM user's perspective.
>     Configuration
>     Run Levels and starting services
>     Setting up an install server
>
> Basic Linux abilities assumed:
>     Command line and BASH (or shell of choice).
>     Editing text files.
>     Some familiarity with runlevels and init.d
>

> *  This is NOT an install-fest.  That would eat the evening.
>     Bring a pre-installed system (or paper to take notes).
>

> Are there any other Choobs out there to make this worthwhile?
>
> michaelj

All I can say is that I was a RedHat (pre-Fedora) afficiondo for
many years until I employed a certain member of staff who was a
"died-in-the-wool" Debian guy and he slowly changed me over. It
took quite a while for me to give up some of the nice stuff I
liked about RH and learn to do things "the Debian way".

These days, I can't remember much about the rpm command at all,
except I still miss the "verify" option that tells you all the files
that have been modified from their installation defaults (can be
done with other tools, but seems, to me, like something that a
package manager should "manage").

Happy to run such a session as you propose (as a Debian convert).
I think I am over all the issues you have raised...

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.