A folloup query - was Re: [clug] Calling all Linux n00bs

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 23:17:22 GMT 2009

felix karpfen wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 08:23:46 +1000, Hal Ashburner
> <hal.ashburner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I use an ASUS WL600G ADSL2+ modem/router/wireless AP
>
>> The web interface is much the same as most wireless router web
>> interfaces
>> you can telnet (or after some configuration ssh) into it, where a
>> curses style menu awaits.
>
> I have decided to take your advice and have located a couple of sources -
> assuming that "ASUS WL-600G WIFI ROUTER 802.11b/g" is more or less the
> same thing.
>
> Since I have yet to put my money down, the comment on the "web interface"
> is currently over my head.  It is *years* since I have last needed to use
> telnet, and I have yet to explore "ssh" :-(.
>
> Could you please advise if there is any documentation on how to use the
> available features of the router that:
>
> - either should be shipped with the order;
> - or can be downloaded from the Internet.
>
> In the latter case, a relevant URL would be gratefully received.
>
> Failing that, a few words of advice on using the above-mentioned "telnet"
> routine would be most welcome.
1) plug your computer into the router via one of the ethernet ports
2) type 192.168.1.1 into your web-browser
3) type 'admin' as the login and 'admin' as the password
4) all becomes clear

ssh is pretty much exactly like telnet except it's encrypted and
relatively secure. telnet isn't. Prefer ssh as a better telnet. You can
use this adsl modem/router without ever using telnet or ssh, just the
buttons & forms in your browser when you follow the above steps will get
it done. If you're at all comfortable with an xterm being able to telnet
or ssh into your router and have it be linux is really nice but
non-essential for ordinary usage.
There's a certain amount of documentation built into the html forms that
you use to configure the router. It's very straightforward. Eg you can
configure the firewall by clicking buttons about what services you want
to expose to the world without ever seeing the word 'iptables', most
users of this router wouldn't know or care it's linux under there somewhere.

Read the documentation before you have the router to plug in your machine?
a) google asus wl-600g filetype:pdf
and look through the hits for something that looks like the documentation
or
b) go to asus.com
navigate to australia, products, networks, adsl router, then here:
http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=29&l2=173&l3=0&l4=0&model=1173&modelmenu=1
Note that this little beastie is now 3 years old, there might be better
options by now, I haven't checked. You want the faster 802.11n wireless,
this doesn't do it.
So you note the "download" link on the above page. pdf documentation is
there.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=WL-600g
I haven't advised you to buy this, I've just said I use it, I like it,
it's linux, you might like to look into it further. I don't think you'll
go to far wrong with this, or indeed any other adsl modem/router. If you
want to configure a firewall using iptables commands this does it. Drop
in a new firmware to make it your lower power home server, you /can/ do
that to. Plug it in and have it work without worrying about any of that?
Does ok on that front too. Probably netgear has a slightly more
user-friendly interface (by reputation at least).
Good luck. You'll be fine.

Hal Ashburner