[clug] Calling all Linux n00bs

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Wed Jun 10 22:32:07 GMT 2009

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 08:27:56 +1000, Sam Couter wrote:

> Felix Karpfen <felixk at webone.com.au> wrote:
>> Lastly, my use of broadband features is likely to be very modest.
>
> Many of us started out thinking that. Eventually things change and
> you'll use a lot more bandwidth than you do now. You'll wonder how you
> ever survived on 56k.

Parkinson's Law (updated for the 21st Century)?

"Webpage content expands to fill the bandwidth available"

>> I have yet to identify
>> the benefits of VOIP and podcasts.
>
> VoIP: My monthly phone bill went from about $60 to about $5 and my wife
> can now speak with her interstate and even international family as much
> as she wants with no complaints from me.

To be explored.  To me it sounded very like some of the features currently
provided by "Skype".

> podcasts: They're just audio files, usually MP3, set up with an index
> that's easy to subscribe to. Nothing special.

My daughter uses them all the time.  But she is a working girl with
limited time slots for leisure activities.  I no longer have such problems
(Statistically speaking, I ought to be spending my time in pushing up
daisies rather than fussing about dial-up and broadband) :-).

>> And there are probably lots of other
>> "features" available to broadband users, of which 56k modem users are
>> blissfully ignorant.
>
> Such as Youtube? Don't read the comments, they'll make you dumb.

The increasing use of "Youtube", on sites that I visit, was a major prod.

> Also, welcome to the world of heavyweight flash-infested web sites.

On my setup, all plugins (which include the Shockwave flash plugin) are
normally disabled.  They can be enabled at the click of a button - when
the need arises.  This has hitherto spared me a lot of grief.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)