[clug] Windows Tax refund and ASUS

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 04:35:14 GMT 2009

Anyone been successful at getting anything back from ASUS?  A search
or two would say no and an initial phone call I made to them would
insinuate no.  "if it is not fit for purpose, return whole machine to
where you bought it, ASUS do not do whitebox sales".

Or have pointers on the best way to go about this?  Interestingly
enough the 2IC of the call centre there mentioned that they have had
"lots" of cases like this and in all cases they said no. said 2IC even
went so far as saying that the advice they had from the Trade
Practises Act/ACCC people was that this was OK. (and perhaps it is).
When I pressed regarding the details of this "judgement" they had from
said people not much was forthcoming.

Note that they guy on the other end of the phone wasn't being
obstructive, just pointing out what they have done so far.

I am not trying to turn this into a national incident or get myself in
for a world of pain but am very curious. In the past I have had a use
for the pre-installed version of <previous version of windows> but
this one comes with the <other somewhat maligned version>. I find this
even more amusing given that the much hyped ASUS Express Gate is
linux...

Ta

--
Andrew Janke