[clug] Calling all Linux n00bs

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Sun Jun 7 22:27:56 GMT 2009

Felix Karpfen <felixk at webone.com.au> wrote:
> Lastly, my use of broadband features is likely to be very modest.

Many of us started out thinking that. Eventually things change and
you'll use a lot more bandwidth than you do now. You'll wonder how you
ever survived on 56k.

> I have yet to identify
> the benefits of VOIP and podcasts.

VoIP: My monthly phone bill went from about $60 to about $5 and my wife
can now speak with her interstate and even international family as much
as she wants with no complaints from me.

podcasts: They're just audio files, usually MP3, set up with an index
that's easy to subscribe to. Nothing special. I like to catch up on the
Dr Karl segment on JJJ that I never get to hear live.

> And there are probably lots of other
> "features" available to broadband users, of which 56k modem users are
> blissfully ignorant.

Such as Youtube? Don't read the comments, they'll make you dumb. Also,
welcome to the world of heavyweight flash-infested web sites.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au