[clug] VM Preferences

Tomasz Ciolek tmc at vandradlabs.com.au
Sun Jun 7 00:11:26 GMT 2009

Geoff

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 09:14:37AM +1000, Geoff Swan wrote:
> virtualisation support). BTW AFAIK that also rules out Xen. I think this

First point : I run XEN linux instanxes on systems without H/W
virtualisation support.  the thing you will not be able to do without H/W
virtualisation support is to run non-native XEN OS as a guest os (ie MS
windows XP or MS Server 2K3 or the like), or KVM. If your hardware is
compatible with the Xen hypervisor, you can run Xen. Make a note tho, not
all compatible hardware is suitable for this kind of work.

Second point: setting up a CA is very simple, and the thing you need
to protect is your CA signing key. I keep mine on CD (plus a backup)
and only put the CD into my system when I want to actually sign stuff.

In my experience, when talking about security and cryptography,  too many
people out there complicate life without a good reason to do so, and
without uderstanding of what are the risks and threats they are
protecting against.

Cheers
Tomasz Ciolek

--