[clug] Monitors that swivel

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 03:37:25 GMT 2009

2009/6/4 Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com>

> > By the looks of things here you're out of luck with recent
> > nvidia binary drivers.
>
> ?
>

> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/185.19/README/chapter-17.html
>
> Note that I only dug this up as I remember seeing this in the
> nvidia-settings doovie-wap thing at work and I do remember fiddling
> with it from time to time just to test.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this, was away from my nvidia
machine to look at it again.
Latest drivers are apparently 180.60 I have 180.51 installed which is later
than 185.19 and there is no RANDR support at all.
The gnome-y 'change resolution' application crashes on startup because of
this.
A case of the docs not matching reality? Or possibly just a big missing
disclaimer there along the lines of:
"None of this stuff will work if you have more than one monitor"
I have four :)
Laptop with radeon 7500 mob in it works fine with multiple monitors, no
xorg.conf messing about and randr rotations etc. Needless to say it doesn't
do 4 monitors.
Obviously YMMV.
Hacker emptor.
Good luck with whatever you choose, it's unlikely to have full functionality
available in windows as painlessly. Supporting ati and intel encourages the
world to move to a state where that might be the case. (Says the man with 2
expensive nvidia videocards installed).

Hal Ashburner