[clug] Re: Nvidia based Laptops in the $1200-$2000 range

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 07:49:45 GMT 2009

See from the specs it has a fingerprint reader?   Does Ubuntu (or
similar) know about these things yet?   I have tried to drive them on
a number of laptop machines with Ubuntu and they remain silent.  Not
really a show stopper, but mildly irritating.

Also - does it have a built-in SD card?  If so, does it work?  These
have also been problematic (i.e completely silent) on a number of
laptops when Ubuntu was installed.  For me this is major irritation
bordering oh show stopper.

This seems to be Linux's biggest challenge: to achieve critical market
mass so that HW manufacturers instinctively make all the necessary
drivers and similar available at time of HW release.  It is getting
better but it still appears pretty much a lucky dip on the HW front.

jim