[clug] Re: Nvidia based Laptops in the $1200-$2000 range

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 06:14:43 GMT 2009

An update on this...

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 00:46, Andrew Janke<a.janke at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need a new laptop and want to drive two external monitors thus I
> pretty much need an nvidia based one. (I know ATI is getting better
> each and every day but I know how to make nvidia work).

First thanks to all who offered input, most helpful. I eventually
decided on the ASUS N51VF, 2.53Ghz, 4GB, Nvidia GT 130M 1GB, 320GB HDD
all for about $1800 delivered with an HDMI cable. It arrived today.

First impressions: shiny! certainly doesn't look or feel as
bulletproof as a thinkpad but then I didn't really expect this in any
case. (For one it is plastic whereas every thinkpad I have had has
been a metal backed one of some description.

Stuff that matters: Dual External (1600x1200 on VGA + 1920x1200 on
HDMI->DVI) worked first whack with a live CD. Didn't even bother to
boot the thing into vista, just wiped and installed jaunty.

So far everything has just worked except the inbuilt camera, but then
I have no idea on what app I am supposed to run to test this thing.

+1 for $DISTRO_OF_CHOICE

Andrew Janke - a.janke at gmail.com