[clug] Re: Monitors that swivel

Rod Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Fri Jun 5 01:28:48 GMT 2009

On Friday 05 June 2009 10:42:47 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Re: [clug] Re: Monitors that swivel
>  From: Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com>
>  To: CLUG List <linux at lists.samba.org>
>
> >> I have a Samsung 21" 4:3 ratio that swivels, but have never used it in
> >> portrait mode.  Reason is fairly simple.  In landscape mode it's
> >> vertical dimension is at about the limit of what my eyes can scan.
> >
> > I understand the point. I actually want it for my work machine. I'm a
> > writer, and it really helps with layout and organising information to be
> > able to see it all in one eyeful like that.

snip

> In my case when writing I find the ability to have the code/app that I
> writing about up beside the doc itself (be it wikibooks or oowriter)
> to be invaluable. Still I am not a full time writer so chuck salt
> everywhere.

What else works is somewhat dependent on the application you mainly use for
writing.  OOo has some interesting display modes:

1.	CTRL-SHIFT-J (fullscreen) removes the top & bottom clutter of toolbars

2.	setting zoom ratio to "start page" displays two whole pages side-by-side
A hot-key to & from that could be useful.

Rod