[clug] Re: Monitors that swivel

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 00:52:26 GMT 2009

2009/6/5 Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com>

> >> I have a Samsung 21" 4:3 ratio that swivels, but have never used it in
> >> portrait mode.  Reason is fairly simple.  In landscape mode it's
> vertical
> >> dimension is at about the limit of what my eyes can scan.
> >
> > I understand the point. I actually want it for my work machine. I'm a
> > writer, and it really helps with layout and organising information to be
> > able to see it all in one eyeful like that.
>
> I will add a +1 to "just get a bigger monitor" up until 1600x1200 at
> which stage you will break your neck type of argument. When I am
> writing "stuff" (research papers, etc) I too appreciate being able to
> see a whole A4 page including margins so that you can get a visual
> idea of what the page will flow like.
>
> In my case given that shiney display things to do this are getting so
> cheap as of late (yay economic downturn!) I bought a Samsung 275T (27"
>  1920x1200) for computing duties and the Wii. So now I can have TWO!
> full pages at once. Note that the 275T is probably more than you want
> with Composite video input and the likes, something like this has the
> same resolution:
>
>   http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-samsung-syncmaster-2693hm-price-97279.html
>
> 26" - 1920x1200 and only $565.  - Almost the same vertical resolution
> as a traditional non-widescreen 19" less 80 pixels
>
> Or just go the whole hog and get this thing of beauty.
>
>   http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.asp?kw=305T&position=search
>
> 30" -2560x1600  $1495  - Same vertical resolution as a 21" (one day,
> you will be mine).
>

> In my case when writing I find the ability to have the code/app that I
> writing about up beside the doc itself (be it wikibooks or oowriter)
> to be invaluable. Still I am not a full time writer so chuck salt
> everywhere.

Oh, it's already dual screen, for just this purpose. I just don't see the
point in paying $BIG for a wider monitor, when I can pay $LESS for a normal
sized one, and just flip it over to get the length I want. Because I write
in Docbook XML, and I'm a huge fan of white space, it's nice to be able to
see what you're doing more than three paragraphs down. I've written a couple
of books now where the chapters got so dense with examples and such that I
had a lot of trouble scrolling up and down to get the layout all working
right. I'm pondering doing a new version of the worst of these and the idea
made my index finger go limp.

Cheers! Lana

Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of
madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the
aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and
aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and
vagaries of the crowd.
 -- Edith Sitwell

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more